1. Please check the DNA Specimen Collection Kit to make sure that the correct number of swabs and specimen envelopes (SWABS-ENVELOPE) have been supplied. There should be one swabs specimen envelope containing one swab packet for each individual to be tested. You will find 3 swabs in one packet.
Read the Consent to DNA testing statement. Then, complete and return the Authorization Form with your samples
2. Once you are ready to collect the specimens, make sure that you have properly labeled the SWABS-ENVELOPES. This labeling procedure is very important! Please take the time to properly identify and prepare the specimens collected from each individual.
Collecting the Samples
NOTE: This is NOT a saliva test. Cheek cells are needed for the testing. This is the most important step, and should be performed carefully in order to collect a sufficient specimen for analysis. Collect specimens at least one (1) hour after eating. Do not brush your teeth immediately before taking your cheek swabs. Poor collection will require re-collection.
3. Open the swab packet and remove only one swab. For at least 30 seconds, aggressively scrape the inside of the left cheek wall vertically (in an up and down motion) as you rotate the swab. (Figure 2)
4. After collecting the cheek cells using the first swab, place the swab directly into the labeled SWABS-ENVELOPE. (Figure 3) Do NOT place the used swabs back into the original plastic package. Repeat with the second swab inside the right cheek. With the third swab, swab the left cheek a second time swabbing between the cheek and gums, and around the inside of the lips is recommended.
5. With the swabs inside the properly labeled envelope, close and seal the envelope. NOTE: These specimens are stable at room temperature for several months. Repeat steps 3-5 for each individual providing a specimen.
6. Place all the SWABS-ENVELOPES containing the specimens into the pre-labeled return envelope with all completed forms and payment. Affix postage to the return envelope and drop in the mail.